What's great about your Uniting Church?
August 9, 2022
What is great about your Uniting Church? What are your hopes for the Uniting Church? What is your prayer as we look to the future? These are the questions that inspired a creative project by the Sunday School at St John’s Uniting Church in Wahroonga in the north of Sydney.
Earlier this year, the Uniting Church Assembly shared an invitation for younger generations to respond to the questions prompted by the Act2 project. The St John’s Sunday School - whose members range from 2 years old to 12 years old - took up this invitation and invited their whole congregation to do some thinking before coming up with some creative outcomes.
They asked the Congregation and Sunday School through a simple survey to answer three questions:
- What is great about my Uniting Church?
- What are my hopes for the Uniting Church?
- What is my prayer for the Uniting Church?
Children and Families' Worker Lorraine Jordaan said the Sunday School children received and sorted the responses, compiled them onto a poster and used this as inspiration to decorate a book shelf with puffy paint. The book shelf now sits inside the church building and is filled books, puzzles and activities – a bright and colourful reminder of the community’s hopes and prayers.
Secondly, they compiled a video which shares some of the responses and submitted this to the Assembly.
“We played the video in church and posted it to the Facebook page. The response to this project has been really positive from the Congregation,” Lorraine said.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW:
Some wonderful responses to the question “What is my prayer for the Uniting Church” included:
- To be more open to God’s will
- That God goes with each and every member
- May it seek God’s leading, show the love of Christ, share the love of Christ, follow the Lord
- Consider others
- Promote discussions between people and nations
- To reach out to the marginalised
- To lead the Australian community in building strong bonds with people of other faiths
- That the Holy Spirit may empower the leaders in the way God wants us to go.
In this month, as we share stories which focus on the Identity of the Uniting Church, we would love to hear from you about your hopes and prayers for the Uniting Church.