UCA National Historical Society
The Uniting Church National History Society (UCNHS) was formed to preserve and promote the historical journey of the Uniting Church in Australia and its predecessor churches.
We are a nation-wide community of people passionate about the past, present and future of our uniquely Australian church.
What will I get with my membership?
Access to our Biennial Conference Publications and Resources
A voice in planning the future direction and priorities of the UCNHS at our Annual General Meetings
Meet our UCNHS President
Associate Professor Glen O’Brien
BTh (Kingsley), MA Biblical Studies (Kingsley), MA Theological Studies (Asbury), PhD (La Trobe)
Rev. Dr Glen O’Brien has been on the staff of Eva Burrows College, Melbourne, since 2009, having formerly served at Booth College, Sydney, as Head of Humanities and Head of Theology. He is a Uniting Church minister in the Yarra Yarra Presbytery with a placement to full time theological education in the Salvation Army. He is a member of the Salvation Army / Uniting Church Dialogue.
As Research Coordinator at Eva Burrows College Glen administers the University of Divinity’s Higher Degrees by Research offered through the College as well as lecturing in Christian History and Theology, specialising in Wesleyan studies. He also has administrative roles in the University of Divinity, is Vice-President of the Religious History Association, a Research Fellow of the Australasian Centre for Wesleyan Research (ACWR) and an Honorary Fellow of the Manchester (UK) Wesley Research Centre. He has published widely on Wesleyan and Methodist themes, and supervises doctoral research in various aspects of Methodist history and theology, Australian religious history, and eighteenth century studies.
Another successful conference
The second biennial conference of the UCNHS, held in Melbourne 7-10 June 2019, attracted 54 registrations, and by all measures was a great success:
- three stimulating keynote addresses
- papers presented by 22 members of UCNHS on a wide variety of UCA history topics
- a great chance to exchange ideas about history - and other matters - amongst participants
- an inspirational visit to the Church of All Nations, Carlton, on Pentecost Sunday
- Sunday afternoon excursions taking in several venues of historical interest
- a splendid burst of historically informed hymn-singing
- fascinating insights into current holdings of, and future plans for, UCA archives
- excellent catering
The third biennial UCNHS conference will take place in Sydney in 2021. The conference is scheduled from 11-13 June at the Centre for Ministry, North Parramatta, Sydney. The theme is 'Growing Up Uniting'.
Keynote speakers: President of the Uniting Church Assembly, Dr Deidre Palmer, Executive Director of the National Church Life Survey, Associate Professor Ruth Powell, Church Historian Dr William Emilsen and Social Scientist Dr Elizabeth Watson.
A decision was taken at the AGM, held as part of the 2019 conference, to establish an electronic newsletter.
- This will provide members with an opportunity to keep up with all sorts of events and developments relating to UCA history and archival matters, and religious history more generally.
- It will also be a forum for you to promote local and regional events, new publications and any other matters relavent to the aims and interests of the UCNHS.
- Your state/regional representative on the UCNHS Board will be your link to this activity. Contact him or her with your news, questions, ideas.