Holiness and Social Justice
A book commissioned by The Salvation Army and Uniting Church in Australia
The Uniting Church in Australia and The Salvation Army have a strong theological commitment to holiness and social justice as a shared understanding of Christian faith and life.
The dialogue between the two churches has resulted in this book: ‘Holiness & Social Justice’.
‘Holiness & Social Justice’ is guided by six theological affirmations:
- Grace is not only God’s gracious favour bestowed upon the undeserving; it is also God’s empowerment, enabling lives that reflect God’s holy character.
- In both Old and New Testaments, love for God and neighbour is the characteristic mark of those who are holy.
- ‘Perfection’ is not to be understood in the philosophical sense of absoluteness, but in terms of the loving character of God.
- The gift of the Spirit, given to all believers, both demands and enables a new way of living.
- Personal holiness can never be divorced from engagement with the world and has profoundly political dimensions.
- The perfecting of human beings, so that by grace they become partakers of the divine nature, is but part of a broader perfecting of all creation in an eschatological renewal of the entire universe.
The book is available for download. Click the image below