The Uniting Church Filipino National Conference for 2020 will take place on 30-31 October 2020.
The Conference will begin with an online service of Lament and Hope on Friday 30 October with Filipinos in Australia and overseas. It will include Vespers for All Saints Day and serve as the Conference opening.
The theme of the Conference is Damayan: Community Blessing Community.
Damayan is a Filipino word that can be translated as ‘neighbours helping neighbours.’ It is an act or continuing acts of empathy and solidarity with those who are placed in a situation of hardship, want, distress or suffering. Damayan in an ongoing activity of Filipino migrants in Australia including some of our local congregations that collect contributions in cash and in-kind from the wider community and distribute these to international students and temporary migrant workers left outside of the Government’s JobKeeper support schemes.
The adoption of Damayan in our theme carries the act of collective compassionate action which embodies what it is to be a blessing to the community.
The scriptural texts chosen for the Conference are Gen. 12.1-3, Rev. 7:9-17, Matt 5: 1-12
To go back to the biblical meaning of blessing, originating with the call of Abram and Sarai (Gen. 12:1-3), we consider these readings point to the fullness of grace brought about when God’s Kingdom comes and experienced in the here and now. Blessing is understood in personal, communal and cosmic ways. Perhaps we could consider-
- how we as Filipino members of the Uniting Church been able to give witness/proclaim God’s reign on earth in word and in deed?
- how might others experience the Kingdom of God as becoming in our congregations and communities as well as in the whole of Australia and the Philippines?
To Register for the Online Service or Conference email email@example.com
Conference Program 2020
Oct 30, 7:00 – 8:00PM AEDT
Online Vespers fellowship with Filipinos in Australia and overseas. This integrates the honouring of the saints of today and will serve as the Formal Opening of the Conference.
Oct 31, 10:00AM – 3:00PM
9:30: Technical preparation
10:00: Conference Plenary begins
- Welcome & Opening Remarks, Acknowledgement of First Peoples
- Introductions, House (Teleconference) Rules
10:30: Keynote Address: Dr Eleazar Fernandez, President, Union Theological Seminary Philippines
10:20: Break Out Rooms: Reflection on the Keynote Address
(Guide questions are provided)
10:30: Plenary: The President’s Reflection and Sharing – Dr Deidre Palmer, UCA President
10:50: Break out Rooms
11:00: Plenary: Organsational Matters; WG Report
12:00 – 2:00: Lunch Break - “Working” lunch in break out rooms (Workshop Rooms).
- Intentional faith development: How might we promote discernment and lifelong learning inn our faith journeys?
- passionate and grounded worship: How might we open ourselves to God’s grace so that we might respond in praise, worship and in actions that give glory to God? How might we empower and encourage others?
- pastoral care and leadership: How do we lament failures, sickness and evil in our own lives? How might be encourage servant leadership?
- strengthening ties among congregations and community engagement: How might we be better neighbours?
- reconciliation, social justice, covenanting with Congress: How might we maintain right relationships in our personal, church and community life?
2:00 - 3:00: Plenary: Break out Groups Report
2:50: Closing Rites