That the Assembly resolve:
To maintain the definition of marriage adopted by the Assembly in 1997.
||Sang Duk Choi
||Kap Yong Lee
The following “Declaration” was accepted by the Korean Presbytery at its meeting on 17th
With respect to the 'Working Group on Doctrine (WGD) Report on Marriage and Same-gender Relationships' prepared, and made public. by the WGD to be presented to the 15th Assembly of the Uniting Church of Australia for its approval of offering the marriage rites to the same-gender relationships The Korean Presbytery makes known its intention and position as follows:
- The Premise
Bible, the words of God, is 'the absolute truth and authority' that is not to be added to , nor subtracted from, nor altered in any way and by way of scholastic studies such as theology. law, constitution and regulations of the Church, customs, cultures, or whatsoever, but to be upheld and followed.
In this regard, the Bible makes known clearly that "If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy. God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city. which are described in this book." (Revelations 22: 18-19)
The Bible manifestly states that same-gender relationships are a sin. (Levites 18:22, 24-29; Rome 1:26-27). Therefore, offering the marriage rites to, and blessing, the same- gender relationships is to deny and oppose the words of God.
Thus, the position of the Korean Presbytery is manifest that the same-gender relationships are the subject of evangelism, and not of blessings, but ultimately of deliverance.
- The Korean Presbytery hereby resolves and declares that:
1) The same-gender marriage, and the blessing and marriage rites thereof, is to stand against the providence and will of God, who created man and woman and allow them the marriage rites;
2) The same-gender marriage, and the blessing and marriage rites thereof, is to oppose the spirit and intention of the old and new testaments, which are the absolutely truthful words of God;
3) The same-gender marriage, and the blessing and marriage rites thereof, is in opposition to the conscience of the saints, who were called to the holy community of the church and made born again by the Holy Spirit
4) The same-gender marriage, and the blessing and marriage rites thereof, is a matter of biblical and spiritual interpretation, and not of scientific or scholastic understanding, and accordingly cannot be agreed to.
Therefore, the Korean Presbytery strongly request that the definition of marriage (Uniting Sexuality and Faith 1997) as has been respected and maintained up until today's date, be kept as it is and adhered to.